Sunday, September 30, 2012

Comparing communication styles

I asked my sister and coworker to evaluate my communication anxiety using an inventory.  The results from my personal inventory revealed mild communication anxiety, known as "situational."  My sister and coworker evaluations revealed low communication anxiety.  This information didn't surprise me because they have both seen me communicate in small group and public speaking events.  I believe I am able to "hide" my nerves/anxiety in these settings because they are mild.

One thing that somewhat surprised me were the results of the listening styles profile.  When I evaluated myself  I was in the people oriented group; however, my coworker placed me in the action oriented group.  This prompted me to reflect on the ways I can communicate in various settings.  I discovered that I am an overall people oriented listener; however, I do tend to be an action oriented listener in the professional setting.  In the future I intend to blend the two styles to maintain an effective, yet empathetic listening style at work.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I also face anxiety that is hidden well when I communicate in front of groups. The assessment revealed that I am people-oreinted and I agree with this. I try to listen without being biased, or judgmental especially in a professional setting. I enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete